TOP 5 MENTAL HEALTH PODCASTS FOR GUYS
Podcasts are everywhere and while some of us rely on books and reading for information it’s clear that podcasts serve a vast audience of people who prefer to listen and absorb new concepts, perspectives, techniques and strategies. Also, given the heavy leaning of most of these featured podcasts on personal stories and first-person sharing – it’s clear that these mental health podcasts are a huge force for change towards normalizing the experience of living with mental health issues. Check them out, download them, set your earphones and press ‘play.’
1. Mental Health Today – John Cordray, a licensed therapist is the host of this podcast and a compelling voice for leading an emotionally healthy life. With more than 80 episodes to date Cordray helps listeners understand and learn what to do with anxiety, anger, depression, relationship conflicts as well as other emotions and behaviors that can get add to the sense of struggle in our every day lives. @JohnPCordray
2. Speaking Of Psychology – Created and produced by the American Psychological Association this podcast explores the latest science and research, the crucial and relevant information available in the moment to help listeners better comprehend and leverage psychological science to their lives every single day. @APA
3. The Depression Files – Created, produced and hosted by Al Levin The Depression Files is all about helping men increase their knowledge and understanding of depression. Al has been there, is there, and his empathy for men who live with depression is what makes this podcast a must for any man – every man.
4. The Unbeatable Mind – Retired Navy SEAL Commander, New York Times best-selling author, speaker and entrepreneur Mark Divine and his SEALFIT Coaching team feature guests and a vast kit of subject matters from philosophical, emotional and the meta-physical that closely align with Mark’s 5 Mountain Training Path of developing your Mental, Physical, Emotional, Intuitive, and Kokoro (Heart) self. The Unbeatable Mind was recently listed as the #1 Health Podcast and #30 overall in iTunes. @UnbeatableLife
5. The Mental Illness Happy Hour – The Mental Illness Happy Hour is a weekly online, hour-long audio podcast of interviews with comedians, artists, friends, and sometimes, even a real doctor. Hosted by comedian Paul Gilmartin the show features episodes which explore mental illness, trauma, addiction and negative thinking. The New York Times says, the show is “a perversely safe place in which [Paul] and his guests talk about their fears, addictions and traumatic childhoods. Tailored for anyone interested in or affected by depression, addiction and other mental challenges Gilmartin, feels that the podcast and the website will give people a place to connect, smile and feel the return of hope. @mentalpod